1. 1 onion, chopped
2. 3 cloves garlic, minced
3. 1 poblano pepper, de-seeded and chopped
4. 1 red/yellow/or orange bell pepper, de-seeded and chopped
5. 1 medium zucchini or yellow squash, diced
6. 2 medium size potatoes, peeled and diced
7. 1 15-oz can Rotel tomatoes or similar
8. 2 32-oz cartons chicken stock or broth
9. 2 tsp ground cumin
10. 1/2 tsp paprika
11. 1/2 tsp chili powder
12. 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
13. 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (and larger bones if you have them)
14. 1 can drained and rinsed black beans
15. Salt & Pepper to taste
1. In a large stockpot, sauté onions, poblano pepper, and bell pepper until starting to soften - season with salt and pepper
2. Add garlic, tomatoes, zucchini or yellow squash, potatoes, chicken stock/broth, bones (if available), and spices. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer, cooking about 15+ minutes until vegetables are cooked and potatoes are fork tender.
3. Add 1 can drained black beans and the shredded chicken, cook until heated through (a few minutes).
4. Adjust spices, salt, and pepper to taste.
5. Serve with shredded cheddar, cotija, queso fresco, or other desired cheese + plain Greek yogurt (healthy swap for sour cream), diced avocado, cilantro, and lime juice if desired.